Spray Tan Preparation
Not sure what to do before your airbrush tan? That’s fair! We’ve got you covered.
Here’s what you need to know.
What to Do Before Your Tan
(And When to Do It)
- 2-Plus Days Before Your Tan: Any waxing, facial treatments, or microdermabrasion that you plan to have done. This includes retinol, chemical peels, or anything that we all do to try to maintain our youth.
- 1 Day Before Your Tan: Manicures and pedicures can be done the day before your airbrush tan treatment, if you choose to do so.
- 8 Hours (Or More) Before Your Tan: Shower, shave, and exfoliate your skin. If possible, avoid adding moisturizer. If your skin is “thirsty,” it will more readily absorb the tanning solution. Fewer than 8 hours until your appointment? Skip it all and come as you are. Trust us, you’ll love your tan WAY more.
- The Day of Your Tan: Wear loose-fitting clothes in darker colors to prevent staining. Wool, silk, and synthetic fabrics can interact with DHA, the active ingredient in your tan. If possible, skip those fabrics. Not dressed for the occasion? We’ve got some comfies and some flip-flops that you can purchase to get you—and your tan—home.
- At Your Tan Appointment: Before your airbrush tan, put your hair up so that it doesn’t touch your face or neck. Remove all jewelry (and your deodorant, if you wore any), and get ready to party!
What Not to Do Before Your Tan
- Avoid wearing moisturizer, lotion, perfume, makeup, and deodorant to your appointment. These products can all negatively affect the results of your tan. Is it too late and you already put it on? DON’T try to shower it off…Just come in and we’ll make it work.
- Within 24 hours after getting your tan, avoid the following: manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing, dermabrasions, hot yoga, intense conversations, deep thoughts, and overthinking.
What to Expect from Your Post-Tan Shower
- When you take your first shower after your airbrush-tanning treatment, you will see the cosmetic bronzer come off in the water. Don’t panic! This is a normal part of the spray tan process. What you’re seeing is just the excess product rinsing off.
- For the best results, your first shower should be a lukewarm, quick rinse. This will maximize the length of your tan (and let’s be honest, it’s going to save you time that day.)
Spray Tan Maintenance
Follow these tips to maximize the longevity of your tan.
- Wear dark, loose-fitting clothing following your spray tan. Avoid wearing bras with tight straps, sports bras (or really any bra at all!), tight clothing, or tight shoes and socks while your tan is developing. Embrace the makeup-free and comfy life - your tan will thank you!
- Wait 8-12 hours to shower after your spray tan. This gives the tanning solution the ideal time to set. While you can shower sooner, it will lessen the intensity and longevity. The best way to maximize your custom airbrush tan? Sleep in it and shower the next morning! Thinking about showering sooner? Call or email us and we’ll talk you off the ledge.
- Avoid moderate to intense physical activity until after your first shower. (Umm… you’re welcome.) This includes activities like swimming, working out, or relaxing in the sauna or hot tub. Even an Epsom salt bath should be avoided. Basically, anything that includes water or sweating should be avoided for the 8-12 hours following your tan.
- Avoid exfoliation after your tan. When you’re bathing or showering, use a mild shower gel and go without the exfoliant or thorough scrubs (this includes your loofahs and washcloths). Not sure if what you have will work? We have products specifically formulated for before and after your tan - just ask us and we can recommend exactly what you need!
- Pat your skin dry after showering. Pat - don’t rub - and you’ll keep your glow looking nice and even.
- Moisturize twice daily (starting after your first post-tan shower). Before your tan, you want your skin thirsty - avoid the moisturizer. But AFTER your tan, you want to keep it hydrated - so moisturize away! Roots to boots! This will help it last longer.
We’ve got you. At the time of your tan, your Glamour Girl Airbrush Artist can answer any questions you have and explain all the maintenance tips so you can care for your airbrush tan like a pro. Want all the answers before you come in because you’re Type A like us? Call or email and we’ll walk you through the whole thing!
Your Spray Tan?